I love sweet potato and have recently been making a few potato salad recipes with what has been left in my cupboards. This day I decided to purchase some sweet potatoes to use in place of the traditional new potato.
Sweet potatoes are sweeter and provide more fibre than the normal white. Nutritionally though there isn’t much difference between the two. Both are a cheap and healthy source of fibre, iron and vitamin A.
I also decided to see what else was lying around in the fridge and cupboards to make this dish more interesting. With that I stumbled across some chickpeas, sweet corn, spinach and beetroot. Along with that some dijon mustard and tikka paste.
So I used my imagination to make a spicy and sweet dressing to go with this tasty potato salad. Give it a go and see how this tickles your taste buds.
Ingredients (serves 1-2)
- 1 sweet potato
- Handful of spinach
- half an onion chopped
- 2 inches of cucumber chopped
- 2 tbsp chickpeas
- 2 tbsp sweet corn
- half a beetroot grated
- half a carrot grated
- olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp tikka paste
- Bake the sweet potato in an oven at 200 degrees for about 30- 40 minutes. Alternatively (like I did) to save time place in the microwave for 10-15 minutes until cooked (make sure its not over cooked).
- While this is cooking prepare the salad ingredients.
- Once all is prepared and the sweet potato is cooked. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan.
- Add the onion and fry until soft. 5 minutes.
- Then add the beetroot and carrot along with the cooked sweet potato that should be chopped into small chunks.
- Keep moving so the mixture is well combined and doesn’t stick. Add a tbsp of water if this starts to happen.
- Add the chickpeas and sweet corn.
- Now add the dijon mustard, tikka paste and the vinegar and mix well. The colours from the beetroot and the dressing should mix well to create a colourful array of flavour.
- Once mixed well, remove from the heat and place on top of the spinach that should’ve been plated up.
- Add the chopped cucumber to decorate and enjoy!!