Well, what beautiful weather we are having right now!! Every time the sun puts its hat on I have the urge to get out and enjoy it. I always feel guilty when I am not making the most of it in some form. This normally involves exercise and this morning I managed to head out early and get in a lovely hour bike ride.
It feel so great to be out and enjoying the freedom my bike offers me. Cycling around the coast here in the South West is always beautiful. Certainly have the need to be getting out more and more if this weather continues, beats the cold winter rides I have experienced this year. They are few and far between though, certainly a fair weather rider lol.
A fact that you may not know about me is that I also a qualified personal trainer. With a Masters in nutrition, Veggie Yum was created to reach more people and get them to experience the benefits of eating a more plant based diet. So my day continued in the sun providing a great client of mine her personal training session. When the weather is like this I couldn’t imagine doing anything else for a living then topping up my vitamin D levels and helping others lead a more active lifestyle.
As you can imagine, this was a very active and productive morning which I was very pleased with. Exercise first thing in the morning certainly sets you up for the day in a great way. But after all of this exercise I was in need of a healthy lunch to refuel.
Luckily for me I had my roasted vegetable, tomato and bean couscous salad that I made the night before to tuck into. Such a simple dish that is so easy to make and tastes great. So fresh and light, just what you want when the weather is hot and sunny. Why not give it a go next time your making dinner. This dish will last for a good few days in the fridge and is great to take to work for a healthy lunch.
Roasted Vegetable, tomato and bean couscous salad. (serves 4)
- 1 carrot
- 1 parsnip
- 1 red onion
- half an aubergine
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 175 grams couscous
- 350 ml of vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Canned cooked chickpeas in water
- Canned of chopped tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 C
- Wash the vegetables and then cut into fine length way slices
- Place in to a roasting dish and add the olive oil. Mix well with your hands so that all the veg is coated.
- Add 2 tsp of oregano on top of the vegetables.
- Place in the oven and cook for roughly 20 minutes
- Make the vegetable stock and weight out the couscous.
- Add the stock to the couscous and mix well with a fork. Leave for 5 minutes while the stock is absorbed by the couscous.
- With 10 minutes to go before the vegetables have roasted, add half a can of tinned chopped tomatoes and half a can of drained chickpeas to the dish. Mix well and place back in to the oven for the final 10 minutes.
- After the full 20 minutes removed the dish from the oven and add the couscous. Mix well again and then cover with tin foil. Place back into the oven (oven now turned off – still be warm but saves energy) and leave for 5-10 minutes to let the mixtures settle.
- After you have let it rest for 10 minutes remove and serves. Feel free to grate some cheese (vegan or non vegan) on top of the dish once you have served up the portion. Enjoy!
Hope you all enjoy this quick, simple and cheap vegetarian recipes. Please share with friends and others you think would enjoy this too. Plus don’t be afraid to provide me with your comments and feedback on how your dish turned out.
Till next time – Neil